[time-nuts] Garmin 18x GPS WNRO, revisited

Fiorenzo Cattaneo fio at cattaneo.us
Sat Nov 30 01:35:53 UTC 2019

The Garmin 18x I have still works, and I verified it works after a power
cycle. I'm running firmware version 4.40.

Apparently all the 4.XX firmware versions are related to GPS week rollover
fixes. Earlier versions also have fixes for "improved" time keeping. Here
is the download link for 18X:

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4055

These are all the downloads for the 18x, including the Garmin tool
SNSRXCFG:

https://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00321-31

This link from David might also be of interest:

https://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Garmin-GSP18x-LVC-firmware-issue.htm

I've found the upgrade process to be a bit complicated, the upgrade
instructions didn't work for me. So this is what I did:
* set receiver at 9600 baud, power cycle
* with garmin utility, set receiver in garmin mode, power cycle
* run upgrade utility, power cycle,
After the upgrade I couldn't get the receiver back to NMEA mode, so I just
did it programmatically:

/* fd is the file descriptor pointing to the open file to the tty device
in RAW mode @ 9600 baud */
/* send_byte is a wrapper code to write() which handles timeouts and write
errors */
void garmin_set_nmea(int fd)
{
        printf("==> garmin_set_nmea\n");
        /*
         * garmin binary command to switch to NMEA output
         */
        int i;
        unsigned char buffer[] = { 0x10, 0x0A, 0x02, 0x26, 0x00, 0xCE,
0x10, 0x03 };
        for (i = 0; i < sizeof (buffer); i++)
                send_byte(fd, buffer[i]);
}

-- Fio Cattaneo

Universal AC, can Entropy be reversed? -- "THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT
DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER."