[time-nuts] GPS Antennas

Nick Sayer nsayer at kfu.com
Fri Sep 6 17:07:29 UTC 2019

I’m late to the party, but my go-to antenna is the Gilsson marine antenna. If it has a downside, it’s that it has a flat top instead of a cone. I’ve got one mounted outside at our vacation home near Lake Tahoe, so we’ll see whether snow loading becomes a problem shortly. The fix would presumably just be a 3D printed plastic gnome’s cap, though even that might not be useful if we get snow like we did last year.

It has a standard 14 tpi 1” standard thread, though I’ve managed to make do on more than one occasion with 3/4” NPT.

Under normal circumstances, I routinely get 8 or more satellites with the top SNRs in the 50s.

I designed a 3D printed mount for mounting it on a flat surface (which I needed to do here): https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3664978 <https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3664978>.