[time-nuts] Low frequency noise measurement (was BG7TBL FA1 frequency analyzer )

ew ewkehren at aol.com
Fri Sep 6 18:17:41 UTC 2019

Guilty as charged. We have and use a one channel mixer for our Austron circuit. I call it Austron because in the origional design I used the circuit out of a 2110 to mix 5 MHz with 500 Hz in an XOR Xtal filter and divide by 5 to get a 100 Hz offset at 1 MHz. Worked fine but Juerg had problems, we now know was during the time his PRS 10 failed and he used Tbolt direct in his OSA system. We now use DDS and in critical applications PTS40. Richard MCC did a super simple circuit for the 100 Hz using only 4 IC's. 10 MHz in the mixer we get 1 E-13 resolution at  1 second. Switchable 0.1,1,10 and 100 seconds E-15. Circuit attached. Not so good for AV because he needs 0.1 seconds to transfer each reading. Circut attached.But now to AV. I do not understand why there is all that talk of using all sub par solution when wen you are serious $ 100 in parts will get you a Dual Mixer with 1 E-14 at one second. See plot and picture.This is W.J. Riley with minor improvements. At a time when Juerg and I did not know each other Juerg corresponded with Richard on a simple phase counter while I was working with him on a 4 channel phase and period counter. We connected and since have done quite a few projects. Attached his counter  discrete IC's and and Gate Array. Richard's circuit attached.His first, now key to many of our products. Not available any more. Mixer and counter along with an offset OCXO or DDS is all you need. You can even use one or two of Richard's Austron  circuits and use the DM for frequency. Filter would have to be 100 Hz.Yes, it would require assembly' but if Juerg can do it at 80 few will have excuses. I used to do it, but now with a macular hole on the left eye no more.
Bert Kehren