[time-nuts] spectracom 8170

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 21:33:39 UTC 2019

The comments are right on. The 8170 depended on the AM signal and a stable
carrier phase. This is pretty much the same for all of the old spectracoms.
That said you have to use an external box to fix the carrier. I built
several different approaches and shared them on Time-nuts. If the archives
are around search d-psk-r. The difficulty depends on your distance from
WWVB there can be reasonable simple answers as others have made.
So that comes back to the question. What to do with them.
They have a really nice display and can be hacked to allow something else
to drive them. But as is, they will do nothing useful.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL