[time-nuts] 10811-Parts... (Using the thermal regulator circuitry)

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 15 16:09:21 UTC 2019

On 9/14/19 7:43 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:

> In the 40 years since the 10811 was designed, AFAIK, there
> as been zero (0) progress with respect to the capacitance
> per cubic centimeter of foil capacitors.

I think that's because you're up against physics - foils can only be so
thin before the resistance goes up, there's no magic plastic for the
dielectric. You get to store a certain number of joules in a given
volume of dielectric- you can scale things - reduce the voltage by a
factor of 2 and you can get 4 times the capacitance in the same package.

The only way to get higher energy density is to go to a dielectric with
higher epsilon, but that brings its own set of problems, especially if
you want to stay with solid dielectrics.  (there are some interesting
energy storage capacitors for short pulses that use water as the
dielectric.. that epsilon of 80 is attractive)