[time-nuts] Beginner's Atomic Clock

pisymbol . pisymbol at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 18:33:13 UTC 2019

First off, thanks to everyone who replied.

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 11:00 AM Bob kb8tq <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:

> What are you really trying to do here?

Take over the world - one epoch at a time.

If it’s a “from scratch” atomic standard, then you just aren’t going to get
> there. Sorry about that ...

Ok.

> If it’s a wall clock sync’d to an external radio service then indeed you
> might get there.

Well, I want something maybe in between. Currently I think I have that: I
have a RPi disciplined to the Adafruit Ultimate GPS HAT via chrony (PPS
etc.). This works well.

> In-between those two lie tings like buying eBay telecom Rubidium’s,
> attaching them to a power supply and you have a working standard.

So I think this is what I'm talking about. I want something a little bit
more esoteric than a GPS 1PPS. Can you explain a bit about these
prepackaged Rubidium standards? Upside/downside etc. Do I have to
maintain/check these black boxes?

> Lots of very different directions this could go and and they all could be
> called an atomic clock …. Not at all knock on doing something, just
> confusion
> about what exactly you want to do.

Again, take over the world. Sorry for not being upfront about that. That
would have made things A LOT clearer.

So I guess: How can I get a simple Rubidium standard that outputs a
reference frequency as a discipline to say ntpd or chrony.

Btw, I'm a noob. Please be gentle.

-aps