[time-nuts] Beginner's Atomic Clock

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 12:13:15 UTC 2019

Dr. Kirby, et al,

Remember that a GPS-disciplined Rb has two loops, hence two time constants,
consider:

a) the loop which locks the Rb's internal OCXO to the atomic transition, and
b) the GPS disciplining loop.

I surmise that the internal loop (a) is fast enough to thoroughly suppress
drifts of
the unit's internal OCXO in the face of local temperature variations etc.

But the other loop (b) can be, and should be, pretty slow (time constant of
hours
or more), so as to prevent the disciplined source being jerked around by
GPS "noise".
This is why the Rb can advantageous over the OCXO- the Rb is inherently
stable enough to permit using a very slow loop for disciplining by GPS.

In my own experience to date, the one GPSDO I have with user-adjustable loop
bandwidth suffers greatly from ambient temperature variations when I make
the
disciplining loop TC large enough to effectively remove GPS noise.  I can
easily
see HVAC cycling, for example, when I use a long time constant.  I've played
with numbers ranging from 5 sec up to 500 sec, and think the best compromise
is around 40 sec.  This with an old Trimble T'Bolt which was apparently
built
around 2004 or thereabouts.

My other GPSDO is a CNS Clock II, purchased new about a year ago.  It does
*not* have provisions for user adjustment of the disciplining loop, which
is fixed
at some rather short time constant (I'm estimating roughly 5 sec).  So its
OCXO
is kept pretty honest in the face of ambient temperature variations; however
GPS noise jerks it around very considerably. in the short term.  I'm
finding this
device's greatest utility in looking at phase drift in my Rb sources over a
period
of several hours at a time, mainly for purposes of frequency setting.

My two Rb's are an old (telecom-modded) PRS-10 and an old L-PRO, neither
of which has GPS disciplining capability.   I continue to agonize over
whether or
not I should buy new (standard-featured) PRS-10- I've been trying to make
this
decision for about 2.5 years so far :-)

I do not have access to the revered HP 10811A, so can't speak to its value
for my interests.  I'd dearly love to borrow one, as it would undoubtedly
provide
a good learning experience for me.

Dana