[time-nuts] Beginner's Atomic Clock

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Sep 17 15:44:12 UTC 2019

Hi

You probably are not going to find the Nano’s on the used market.
The last one I worked with was very much a pre-production unit and
that was only a few years back.

Indeed if you are simply looking for a lab clock, the miniature Rb’s may
not be the best choice. Their stability is generally not as good as that of their
bigger cousins. That applies to temperature as well as short term
stability. Since you pay a premium for the smaller parts, the “bang for the
buck” really isn’t there in a home bench application.

If indeed you are trying to build something to go in a drone or put into
space, they make a lot of sense. If you are carrying it on your back along
with all the batteries to power it, again a very reasonable thing to go with.

Lots of fun !!!