[time-nuts] Am I doing something wrong?

Roger Rehr W3SZ w3sz at comcast.net
Wed Sep 25 02:16:24 UTC 2019

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the note!

I leave the Trimble Thunderbolt powered up all the time because since
the last rollover in April it takes a long time to find the satellites
and it doesn't give 10 MHz output until it has found the satellites for
the first time, so none of my gear that is fed by it works until it has
achieved satellite lock at least once after being powered up.  After
that it will give (undisciplined) 10 MHz output when it loses
satellites.  I don't know if that lack of initial output is normal or
not, because before the last rollover it would find the satellites
quickly, before I had the rest of the station ready to go so I never
noticed.

The Thunderbolt had been up and running continuously, stuck in the
power-up mode for well more that a week without progressing to normal
mode when I decided today to power it down and restart it to see if it
would then advance from power-up to normal mode.  It has been more than
4 hours since I restarted it earlier today and it still is in power-up mode.

You are right that the DAC is consistently 0.  PPS error jumps around
between -50 and +50 ns.  OSC error is consistently in the range of
543000 to 548000 ppt.  I don't understand why is says "Discipline OK"
when it isn't disciplining, given the DAC voltage of zero and the large
oscillator error.

All of this is a recent development.  The last time I took a screen grab
of Lady Heather, last October, all looked well as you can see in the
screen grab from last October:

http://w3sz.com/LadyHeatherScreen.PNG

I was hoping that I had recently accidentally set some setting
incorrectly and that this would therefore be an easy fix.  I guess that
is not the case :(

Thanks again Bill and

73,

Roger