[time-nuts] Precision Time Protocol – Windows 10 implementation

Adam Kumiszcza akumiszcza at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 09:44:43 UTC 2019

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 7:00 PM David J Taylor via time-nuts <
time-nuts at lists.febo.com> wrote:

> Hi everybody! My first post here, I hope the subject is adequate for this
> mailing list.
>
> I'm using a tiny layer 1 NTP server consisting of Raspberry Pi 3B+ with
> Ublox MAX-M8Q expansion board providing GNSS (currently GPS, Galileo and
> Glonass, sometimes I switch to Beidou, too) reference with PPS + a simple
> patch antenna hanging near the window. Offset, jitter and rms are most
> often smaller than 1 µs. The server is included in NTP pool.
>
> I'm using several Windows 10 machines on the same LAN, all using NTP client
> software from Meinberg. The typical offset and jitter in those are about
> 100-500 µs. I would like to make it lower.
> []
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
>
> Adam Kumiszcza
>
> Adam,
>
> You could feed the PPS signal to the Windows PCs as one way of making the
> performance better:
>
>   https://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/setup.html
>
> Performance:
>
>   https://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_ntp.php#windows-stratum-1

Cheers,
> David

Hi again!

My raspi is now in a new location. The GPS signal is fine, the window is
not south-facing, but the antenna is outside the window attached to a metal
windowsill, and there are no buildings nearby.
I'm coming back to the idea of distributing PPS signal. Do you think such a
contraption could work?
https://botland.com.pl/pl/raspberry-pi-hat-komunikacja/11707-serial-pi-plus-max3232-interfejs-rs232-dla-raspberry-pi-7426787870194.html

I mean, stacking it over the uputronics board and soldiering some pins.
The MAX3232 chip is the same as on these kind of devices:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MAX3232-RS232-to-TTL-Serial-Port-Converter-Module-DB9-Connector-MAX232/262241627343

Cheers,
Adam