[time-nuts] NTP apps on Windows question

Paul Theodoropoulos paul at anastrophe.com
Thu Sep 26 18:12:15 UTC 2019

On 9/25/19 01:19, Martin Burnicki wrote:
> Paul Theodoropoulos via time-nuts wrote:
>> Only tangentially related, but for keeping a Windows PC synced, I'm
>> rather partial to NetTime. It's a tiny tray app, quite flexible, and
>> otherwise unobtrusive.  It's a freeware app, though donations are
>> accepted....
>>
>> http://www.timesynctool.com/
> It would be interesting to know how this tools works. Over the years
> there have been quite a number of tools that just *set* or quickly
> adjust the system time in periodic intervals.
>
> ntpd compares the system time to its configured reference time source(s)
> periodically, adjusts the system time smoothly so that the time offset
> becomes as small as possible, and even tries to determine and compensate
> the system time drift, so that the time offset *stays* small over time.
>
> Martin
Further down the page on that site, the author describes the
functionality - it's a typical SNTP client, only syncing periodically,
rather than  disciplining the clock, and rightly discourages setting the
interval too small if you're using public NTP servers. But with a local
NTP server, that should be immaterial.

I use it not because I require super-accurate time on my PC, but because
it offers a lot more options than Window's built-in and dumbed-down SNTP
client.

--
Paul Theodoropoulos
www.anastrophe.com