[time-nuts] Two types of GPDSO / Rubidium

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Sep 27 00:46:27 UTC 2019

Hi

The gotcha is that (unless you have something very exotic) there *is* no one standard
for the lab. You may have a device that is quite good on phase noise at some offsets and
horrible for long term. You might have another device that is good medium term and also
pretty good for close in phase noise. Since a Cs is a primary standard, it will always win in
the “long term / free running” category. In the disciplined category a GPSDO will always
come out the winner, if you wait long enough.

So if this is headed off in many directions, first step would be to set up a phase noise measurement
system. Start comparing standards. Best to start with things you have more than one of. First
approximation is that they each are just a bit better than the comparison of the two would indicate.
Then start cross comparing devices. Eventually you will come up with “this one is best at these
offsets” sort of decision. Just how good it is …. time to buy another :). Why start with phase noise?
it is the quickest of the measurements to do. Start with gear that will handle the 10 MHz sort of
frequency you now are dealing with. Expand the range as needed. Also be sure to watch the
floor of your gear vs the measurement. You might need better gear :)

Next step would be to start looking at long term drift. That might start at 1 second or it might start
a bit longer. Again it’s a compare similar to similar at first sort of thing. Then start doing cross comparisons.
If you stick with ADEV measurements, you can more easily compare to published data. There also is
a body of ADEV data in various posts to Time Nuts and on web sites run by Time Nuts. ( The same is
true of phase noise).

Test gear wise, something like the TimePod or the new “Son of TimePod” would be a fun device to
play with. Neither one is in the “dirt cheap” category. They don’t seem to show up on eBay for < $200….
That’s not in any way a knock on the retail price of either device. There are other pieces of gear out there
that do way less and cost way more.

Bob