[time-nuts] Power glitch - Sat morning

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Apr 1 16:50:44 UTC 2020

--------
In message <3b7684a9-2702-295b-4935-33a9b3f47182 at earthlink.net>, jimlux writes:

>In EU, where 240V is the default line voltage, I wonder what the 3 phase
>distribution is?  Is it 415 delta / 240 star

230V actually, and yes, it is universally 400 delta / 230 star.

That's also why you only ever see an auto-tranformer if somebody
imported gear (typically computers) from USA.

The most important difference from US is that co-poling of LV and
MV has almost never been practiced over here, so transients almost
only happen in thunder.

For the same reason MV (typically 10kV) to LV transformers are
typically larger than the polemounted "buckets" used in USA.

Her in DK MV/LV's are usually around 1MW, and they will supply
about a square kilometer of town or ten square kilometers of
rural landscape.

An advantage of the large number of installations per trafo is that
load is even across the three phases, so you can run the transformer
closer to spec than any utility in USA would be happy with.

Protective grounding differs, between countries and in countries, depending
on how hard it is to drive a good PE electrode (DK: Trivial, NO: Forget it)

On the flip side, while we have agreed on the voltage, there are 13 different
national standards for the plugs and sockets on consumer-stuff...