[time-nuts] Phase measurement of my GPSDO

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Apr 3 15:44:46 UTC 2020

Hi

Without a local reference that is *better* than your expected performance,
there is no simple way to know what’s going on. Ideally you would like
any measurement to be based on a reference that is 5X better than the
expected result (tolerance wise). If you are looking for 1x10^-12, the ideal
reference would be < 2x10^-13.

One way around this is to build several of a given design and then compare
them to each other. You still have the issue of “common mode” noise. If
they all drift exactly + 1 Hz per day, you will never be able to tell …

A very normal  way to test a GPSDO design is to use a Cs standard
for the longer tau and a “known good” OCXO for the shorter tau.

Bob