[time-nuts] Phase measurement of my GPSDO

Tobias Pluess tpluess at ieee.org
Fri Apr 3 15:59:37 UTC 2020

Hi John

Yes, I totally agree with you and I also understand the difference.
But what I still don't understand is the following:
Obviously, my 5335A is not accurate/precise enough to measure below 1e-9
for short tau. Currently I am comparing the 1PPS signals, but when I change
that and use the DMTD method, I will still compare some 1Hz signals, and
the counter is still not able to resolve stuff that is lower than 1e-9. So
why would the DMTD work better?
I totally see that the error is somehow multiplied, but if my GPSDO is good
(which I hope it is :-)) the error will still be very small - perhaps in
the 1e-9 or 1e-10 region, so too low for my 5335A. Not?

Tobias