[time-nuts] Now is the time for all good dogs

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Apr 7 19:51:52 UTC 2020

When I worked for Agilent, I had full access for "free" to
all these tools, and access to their designers, etc.
Nevertheless, the time commitment to learn these tools
is prohibitive to any engineer who is responsible for
designing the complete product, not just designing a chip.
I mainly only ever used ADS, which is a nice improvement over
LTSpice.  I never did understand what X parameters were good
for, despite hearing in house talks by its inventor.

The Keysight management has a desperate (IMHO) business plan
to reposition itself as a software company since the bottom
end of the hardware business has been taken over by cheap
offshore instruments.  I guess this is the latest salvo
in the war to defeat NI (good luck).

Speaking of what LTSpice cannot do:  I don't care about
harmonic balance, etc, I just wish it it had better data
plotting capability.  An especially egregious "feature"
is the automatic autoscaling.  Yes, you can use a workaround
where you get the scaling you want, and then save it, and
then recall it again EVERY TIME you do a run.  I really miss
ADS in this respect.

Rather than a free 3 month license, I would rather rent the
software BY THE HOUR not by the calendar.  I might be happy
to pay $50 an hour once in a while for an intense ADS
session that would increase my productivity enough to be
worth it.  But I wouldn't use ADS often enough to justify
a calendar subscription service, unless it was like a few
hundred dollars a year.

Rick N6RK