[time-nuts] The 10811 double oven mystery

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Apr 8 20:32:52 UTC 2020

Hi

Well, based on conversations with the people who designed the part,
the outer oven’s only function was to take care of a potential cold end
problem. At the time, the telecom guys were thinking of putting GPSDO’s
in systems with no heating on the enclosures. That idea died when they
ran into a variety of issues with the digital side of things at cold temperatures.

The issue isn’t the *sensitivity* as much as the simple fact that the
10811 will not warm up at all from a really cold temperature. There just
isn’t enough heater power. If you want to dig into just why a “jacket” like
this is not going to give you super oven performance, the various papers
Rick published on his single oven are a good start.

Bob