[time-nuts] Ultra Stable Rb

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Wed Apr 8 22:56:40 UTC 2020

On 4/8/2020 3:33 PM, Dana Whitlow wrote:
> Bob, what I' was getting at was: what do you do differently to make a
> stable Rb versus one
> that drifts a lot?  Never mind price issues.

My understanding from working on the HP10816 Rb standard
is that aging (as opposed to temperature drift) is due
to the vagaries of Rb atoms moving around and blocking
the light causing light shift.  The lamp also has
wearout mechanisms having to do with the Rb dissolving
into the glass and possibly making it opaque etc.  If
the cell is not "flooded", then how unflooded it is changes
as Rb gets absorbed by the glass.  The glass used is the
next best thing to Fused Quartz, in order to make it
as impervious as possible to Rb.

> Could one buy, say, a PRS-10, extract the physics package from it, then
> engineer a stable
> Rb with that as a core?

No, the aging is a function of the physics package, especially
the glassware.  The electronics would have to be fairly poorly
designed to contribute to aging.

Note:  thermal drift (as opposed to aging) is a different
discussion altogether.  There are a gazillion temperature
effects, both in the physics and the electronics that need
to be addressed.  I think some designs simply use a TCXO
type of technique to address all of these at once.

Rick