[time-nuts] The 10811 double oven mystery

ASSI Stromeko at nexgo.de
Thu Apr 9 19:20:49 UTC 2020

On Donnerstag, 9. April 2020 03:58:11 CEST Hal Murray wrote:
> What's the problem with digital gear at cold temperatures?  The only one I
> can think of is that electrolytic capacitors stop working when the
> electrolyte freezes.

The two most common problems are that gates switch too fast so timing margin
disappears and leakage gets too low so that the biasing of semi-floating nodes
(in dynamic circuits, say) can't be maintained.  If the part isn't qualified
for low temperatures to start with you can also have with breakdown and latch-
up problems.  Some degradation mechanisms are also accelerated at cold
temperature, so lifetime goes down.

The fun thing is that none of the functional problems might happen when the
temperature goes down gradually while the part is continually operating (due
to self-heating) but you might not be able to power up gear that has been
sitting in the cold overnight.  Testing at cold is already spectacularly
difficult because every little remnant of moisture wants to freeze on the
stuff you're trying to test, but when you need to also test for cold soaking
then you really wish that this wasn't part of the specification.  Plus you not
only need to qualify all the parts, but after that the components and the
whole system as well.  If you have the power available, just specifying a more
comfortable ambient temperature inside the cabinet is going to massively
reduce the effort on that front (that's still tricky because you'll want non-
condensing conditions at all time and maybe a few other things).

> Do signal integrity problems appear when the rise time from CMOS drivers
> gets faster?

That can happen too.

> What sort of warmth did the telecom guys decide they needed?  I live in
> California, at sea level rather than up in the mountains.  We get occasional
> freezing from radiation cooling on clear nights.  They wouldn't have to
> work very hard to keep a box above freezing.  I'll have to look closer the
> next time I see some cell phone antennas.

Last time I've peeked into one it simply had a small shrouded fan heater in
there.  It's easy enough to figure out what amount of power is sufficient to
achieve whatever delta-T at minimum ambient you're targeting and if that still
fits your power budget you're done.

Regards,
Achim.