[time-nuts] Phase noise confusion II

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Apr 10 11:56:14 UTC 2020

Hi

Which of the multitude of definitions are we talking about?

One very common definition looks at peak to peak jitter and does
not care about the center. Another looks at +/- peak to edge and
then uses the greater of the two numbers. Other definitions look
at RMS jitter and generally don’t care about the edge.

At least to me, the biggest problem is that any time “peak” or “peak
to peak” comes in to a calculation that involves random noise,
things go sideways fast. People pretty much never want to
define a confidence level (how any sigma?). They want an
absolute number.

Lots of fun

Bob