[time-nuts] Phase noise confusion II

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Apr 10 16:50:06 UTC 2020

Hi

Back quite a while ago, I went back and visited my buddies / ex-coworkers
at Motorola Franklin Park ( = the Motorola crystal / oscillator group). Based on
my past experience with the yields on a “quartz bar to oscillator” fab process,
I asked:

	How do you build a “6 sigma” oscillator? …..

The answer:

You divide the process up into about 6,000 independent “points of failure”. You
then postulate that those failures can only be “detected” at the final test end of things.

I’m not suggesting that is a *wrong* answer, only that it was a somewhat surprising
approach to solving the “problem”.

Bob