[time-nuts] OCXO and fluctuations after EFC adjustment

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Apr 10 17:23:22 UTC 2020

Hi

EFC changes by themselves are pretty much instantaneous. If you are seeing
post tune drift, it likely is from the pot or from things like a temperature change
(or draft) when you go near the part.

If your grounds are a bit intertwined, the change in oven current will give you
a delta voltage on the ground. That can get into the EFC. Taking care of this
is harder than it seems. The 10811 has an independent ground return for the
oven, so it at least is *possible* to do in this case.

A good starting point is to hook up a DVM on your pot. Watch the voltage after
you do a tune adjustment. If the drift you are after is in the parts in 10^-12 range,
that may take a pretty good DVM.

Tuning adjustments to the coarse tune on the 10811 (or any similar OCXO) are
a different beast. The trimmer cap is heated inside the oven and you will cool
it off a bit doing an adjustment. You can see a bit of post tune drift as a result.

Bob