[time-nuts] OCXO and fluctuations after EFC adjustment

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Apr 12 14:11:07 UTC 2020

Hi

In most cases, the “new part” (and three or four other candidates) were each built
into their own batch of a couple hundred oscillators along with batches using the
currently qualified parts. The normal production process / production testing was
done on the batches. That was followed by a (possibly abbreviated) first article
test.

The parts normally would go on long term aging for months / years depending on
the part involved. Routine frequency monitoring would detect gross failures. At the
end of the process, normal testing would be preformed to detect any more subtle
failures ( = frequency test would not catch the output power dropping out of spec …).

None of this is all that different than the normal approach when buying eBay surplus
parts. Bring them in, check them out. Put them on power for a month or two. Then
check them out again. Compare parts in the group to others in the same group
(or other groups) to detect the weird ones …..

Bob