[time-nuts] Chinese GPSDOs

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Apr 17 15:23:38 UTC 2020

Hi

GPSDO’s come from China for a very simple reason:

All the world’s scrap gear is sent to China for “reclamation”. It’s just
another element in the great flow of material being recycled. For a
variety of reasons China is the destination of choice for electronics
scrap.

Like it or not, telecom gear lives a pretty short life these days. It’s
designed / sold / deployed and then 5 or 10 years later it’s replaced.
When it’s pulled out, it likely goes in a container headed for China.

The scrap out process on this stuff often is not pretty. If you head over
to Mr Google, there are is a lot of information on just how it gets done.
This is very much *not* the way you would want it done in your back yard.

The net result is that we get sub assemblies out of this or that telecom
system dirt cheap. They mostly are < 15 years old, so reasonably
state of the art. If it’s showing up in quantities you can notice on eBay,
it was built for one of the big OEM’s. The assemblies were built by
somebody who very much does know what they are doing.

Does this mean that a telecom GPSDO is the perfect answer to every
need? Of course not. Somewhere there was a spec for this or that
module. They met that spec when new. The performance required
almost certainly focused on holdover. That is rarely a focus for a
standard in a basement lab.

The Trimble Thunderbolt is simply one of the many GPSDO’s that
fit into this category. There were lots of GPSDO’s (some quite good)
before the Tbolt. There have been many waves of parts since then.
What is sure - when they are actively being reclaimed, the price will
be low and the quantities high. In a few years, prices will climb ….

Lots of fun !!!!

Bob