[time-nuts] LightSquared is back now called Ligado

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 17 23:49:30 UTC 2020

On 4/17/20 2:04 PM, Taka Kamiya via time-nuts wrote:
> The original article said 9.8dBW.  I guess 10 WATTS?  Kind of unusual unit expression....

dBW it is. It's what's used in transmitter license filings, since most
transmitters are Watts, kilowatts, or megawatts. Very few licenses
issued for <1 Watt.

One also needs to know the EIRP. 10 dBW into a 20dBi sector antenna with
a downtilted horizontal beam that's 100 degrees wide means that from an
interference standpoint, it's like the transmitter is a kilowatt from an
isotrope.