[time-nuts] New Member GPS NMEATime Trouble

John Sloan jsloan at diag.com
Sat Apr 18 16:47:43 UTC 2020

TG9AJR Juan Munoz <tg9ajr at gmail.com <mailto:tg9ajr at gmail.com>> writes:
> But I tried the GlobalSat and cause issues with NMEATime that will Not
> Responding and had to End Task. I did unplugged the U-BLOX from the PC and
> put the GlobalSat instead.

I’ve never used any of these devices on Windows - all my GNSS work is under Linux - but it’s possible you just need a Windows driver for it.

I’ve not used the U-BLOX UB-6010 specifically, but I’ve used lots of other U-Blox devices. I’ve had excellent luck with them. The brand is my so far preference for current and future work. I’m guessing just from the model number that this is a 6th generation U-Blox device. One of my Linux-based NTP servers uses a U-Blox LEA-6T receiver, also a gen 6 device, with the GPS daemon, with no issues.

The GlobalSat BU-353-S4 is one of my favorite inexpensive USB-attached GPS dongles. From what I’ve been able to tell running these with my own GPS software under Linux, it uses a SiRF Star IV GPS receiver with a Prolific USB-to-serial interface chip. The serial interface expects to run at 4800 baud, 8 bits, 1 stop bit, no parity. The GPS stage updates at 1Hz. It enumerates on the USB bus as vendor 0x067B product 0x2303, and as a USB (serial) device, versus an ACM (modem) device, so no modem control.

--
J. L. Sloan            Digital Aggregates Corp.
+1 303 940 9064 (O)    3440 Youngfield St. #209