[time-nuts] A look inside the DS3231

Graham / KE9H ke9h.graham at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 14:04:39 UTC 2020

Well, time and technology move on.
As wonderful as the DS3231 is, there is a newer chip from Micro Crystal
that is smaller, more accurate than the DS3231M, much cheaper, and draws
less power.

Micro Crystal is the Semiconductor division of Swatch (Swiss Watch Company)

If this sort of thing interests you, look at the

https://www.microcrystal.com/
https://www.microcrystal.com/en/products/real-time-clock-rtc/
https://www.microcrystal.com/en/products/real-time-clock-rtc/rv-3028-c7/

The RV-3028 is 3.2x1.5 mm in size, 1.5ppm, additionally trimmable, 45 nA
standby current, under $3 USD in price and in stock at Mouser and Digikey.
Of particular interest to me, besides all the normal features, this one
also directly keeps time in Linux Epoch time, seconds and fractions since
(your choice of epoch) so smaller data movements on the bus, and I don't
have to keep converting back and forth between time formats/structures.

--- Graham

==