[time-nuts] A look inside the DS3231

Tim S tim.strommen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 17:00:11 UTC 2020

Interesting part,

      I do note that they elected to use a 32-bit UNIX time register, and
they don't have an alternate part with a 64-bit - which means it would be
susceptible to the UNIX epoch bug in 2038 if the data was simply consumed
right out of the register.  Shame that the part didn't come with just 4
more byte registers, that puts the burden of patching on the software
people - meaning the CPU would have to be awake more to handle the
correction for 32-bit unsigned to 64-bit signed and keep track of
rollovers, potentially eroding some of the low power benefits.  If someone
has the inside track at Micro Crystal, they should poke at the engineers
about this and get a revised part out.  It would be very useful - I work on
a few security products that would really like this part's other key
points, but the native UNIX time is nifty.

-Tim