[time-nuts] Using speaker / earphone for PPS testing (not a question)

Tony Flavin ajflavin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 07:58:15 UTC 2020

An aside,

How about sending two identical PPS pulse to the left and right channels of a pair of stereo headphones. I estimate that time interval errors of  under 100us should be detectable, and would appear as the pulse "moving" across the sound stage. Could be an interesting way of getting an indication of TIE. It could also allow you determine that two pulses are roughly aligned without reaching for the scope.
The PPS may appear a single point sound directly ahead of the listener, moving left or right according to the delay. Ultimately as delay increases two distinct pulse would be heard. I'm not sure where that point would be. Probably several milliseconds.
If anyone has the time to try it, I'm sure the group would be interested in the results.

Best Regards,

Tony Flavin