[time-nuts] On choosing reasonable synthesizer PN requirements

Karen Tadevosyan ra3apw at mail.ru
Fri Apr 24 06:04:21 UTC 2020

Hi,

one of the interesting HAM radio topic in Europe now is the use of the new
geostationary satellite Phase-4A (QO-100) for analog and digital modes via a
2.4/10 GHz transponder.

For my transverter (input from a UHF transceiver) in TX mode I use a 1968
MHz LO with a phase noise level -98 dBc/Hz @ 10 kHz. It is possible to do LO
with the best parameters but every next 10 dB increases the cost and
complicates the decision.

My question is:  How to calculate/evaluate the reasonable phase noise
requirements of a transverter's LO which would not lead to degradation of
the performance of 2400 MHz radio uplink and 10 GHz downlink on the Earth -
Analog Satellite Transponder - Earth path?

Thanks.

Karen, ra3apw