Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Apr 24 18:07:29 UTC 2020

Hi

Based on a 30 db carrier to noise floor at the sat:

Going from -120 dbc/Hz to -60 dbc/Hz will have << 0.1 db impact.
Going from -60 dbc / Hz to -30 dbc/Hz would be in the 3 db range.

Simply put, the signal is way down in the noise by the time it gets to the
sat. There is very little gain from a low noise transmit signal.

Keep in mind that if you get into modulation rates that are << 1 Hz, getting
to -30 dbc / Hz phase noise may indeed be challenging. What matters
is the noise “in band” with your signal. Say your transmit signal occupies a
10 Hz (+/-5 Hz) bandwidth centered at the carrier. The system mostly cares
about the phase noise in the 1 to 5 Hz range.

If you are transmitting at 2.4 GHz and multiplying up from 10 MHz, you
get a noise increase of 20 log(N) = 20* log( 2400/10) = 47.6 db. To hit
a -60 dbc/Hz “goal” the 10 MHz device would need to be around -107.6
dbc/Hz. Also the synthesizer would have to add no noise to the output.

That synthesizer would be running a pretty good OCXO to hit -107 at 1 Hz
offset. Designing a “zero noise” synthesizer …. ummm …. errr … good luck :)

Lots of fun !!

Bob