[time-nuts] Vaperware Parts and pulse stretching circuits

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sat Apr 25 18:13:47 UTC 2020

I know this is getting off topic, but one more comment from me.

Solder flux is really important.  I use nothing but "no clean" type for
SMT work -- very thin 0.015 no-clean solder (63/37 PbSn while I still
can), and a bottle of liquid no-clean flux with a needle dispenser.  I
make sure the work is wet with flux before I start, and add as needed.

Note that "no clean" isn't strictly that -- it leaves a residue, but it
is supposedly non-conductive and doesn't *need* to be removed.  But for
aesthetics, when I'm finished I dip the board into a bath of isopropyl
alcohol and apply a toothbrush.  Sometimes after that a distilled water
rinse is good if you're a perfectionist.  If nothing else, the cleaning
makes inspection easier.  (But use care... some components, like the
uBlox GPS modules, warn against immersion in any kind of liquid.)

John
----