[time-nuts] NTP server using an OCXO, GPS chip and Raspberry Pi

ASSI Stromeko at nexgo.de
Sat Apr 25 19:18:38 UTC 2020

On Freitag, 24. April 2020 20:46:25 CEST Andreas Kempe wrote:
> I want to build an affordable quality time source for my computer
> club. I've been toying with the idea of using an oven controlled
> oscillator from Ebay for getting a reasonable (0,5 ppm frequency
> stability) 1 PPS signal and a cheap GSP chip with UART for syncing the
> time. I was thinking of running this on a Raspberry Pi with FreeBSD
> and its gpiopps driver.
>
> Is this a reasonable setup for an affordable NTP server?

In the cheap & cheerful department, getting a GPS module that already has PPS
out is likely to be more effective than what you described above.  A good
step-up from that setup then might be to replace the XTAL on the rasPi with a
19.2MHz OXCO.  Anything better than that I'd suggest to use something other
than a rasPi.  While you're at it, you will need at least three, better five,
of these in order to keep everything on time through the inevitable hiccup on
a single NTP server.  If you expect that power loss to all systems might
happen and want them to recover without manual intervention, then you also
need an RTC on all of them.

Regards,
Achim.