[time-nuts] Soldering small stuff...

Forrest Christian (List Account) lists at packetflux.com
Sun Apr 26 06:56:58 UTC 2020

So a couple of notes from here:

I solder 0.5mm pitch TQFP's on a fairly regular basis with just a
reasonably-sized chisel tip and plenty of flux.   I often will end up with
just a bit at the end of surplus which wick will pull off.    I actually
have done this on the bench with a $100 hakko FX601 and a questionable
tip.  So nothing to worry about.

As my eyes have aged, I don't see small things or far away things all that
well.   I have discovered a slightly overpowered set of reading glasses are
perfectly adequate to look at a fine pitched TQFP to determine if there are
bridges.   I do have a couple stereo microscopes available to me, but I
typically prefer the glasses unless I need to look very closely at the work.

- Forrest