[time-nuts] NTP server using an OCXO, GPS chip and Raspberry Pi

Andreas Kempe kempe at lysator.liu.se
Sun Apr 26 19:20:26 UTC 2020

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 04:10:46PM -0700, Hal Murray wrote:
> > Is this a reasonable setup for an affordable NTP server?
>
> How/where are you going to connect up the OCXO?

I was basically planning on feeding the OCXO and the PPS from a GPS
module into a simple microcontroller. Using a capture-compare module
of the microcontroller, my idea was to tune counters in the
microcontroller using the GPS PPS signal as the reference source and
creating my own GPSDO of sorts. The microcontroller would then create
its own PPS signal that is fed into a GPIO pin of the control
computer, i.e. a Raspberry, and hopefully stay stable even if the GPS
PPS reference disappears.

We used to have a GPS clock with an external antenna, but it died a
few years back and this was basically a shower thought for building
something new and not simply buying some off-the-shelf product.

Cordially,
Andreas Kempe