[time-nuts] NTP server using an OCXO, GPS chip and Raspberry Pi

Andreas Kempe kempe at lysator.liu.se
Sun Apr 26 19:25:22 UTC 2020

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 03:19:54AM -0700, Hal Murray wrote:

> David Taylor said:
> > With those recommendations, and noting the delays in RPi I/O (at least in
> > the earlier RPi cards where Ethernet is over USB), I would suggest that an
> > OCXO is overkill.  No reason to deviate from the Raspbian OS.

Deviating from Raspbian isn't really anything other than personal
taste. I happen to like the BSDs. I'm not opposed to Raspbian as such
if it were to simplify things.

> That's an important point.  Thanks David.  I'm embarrassed that I didn't
> mention it.
>
> On Pi 2 and Pi 3, the Ethernet is on USB which adds a layer of jitter to the
> timing you can get using NTP.

Thank you both for this important insight! The only reason I really
mention a Raspberry Pi is because my originial idea was to feed the
PPS signal into a GPIO pin and the Raspberry is very easy to get a
hold off and has GPIO pins.

Cordially,
Andreas Kempe