[time-nuts] MSF Annual Maintenance Shutdown

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Apr 28 07:06:41 UTC 2020

NPL has issued notice that ascheduled maintenance shutdown of the UK MSF
service to allow safe working onthe masts and antennas will take place from
28 April - 13 May 2020. In previous years this hasnormally involved a daily
off period between say 0800 and 1600 but this year'snotification just
states.....
"The service will be off-air from 28 April - 13May 2020, but if the weather
is unsuitable for work to be carried out, then theservice will not be turned
off",   which seems to imply a potential total shutdown over that period.
Although there are no longer any out of service notifications for the
Anthorn eLoran transmission I would expect that to be off for the same
period.
Nigel GM8PZR
======================================

The Web page also states:

"In addition to these dates, the signal is likely to be taken off-air for a
two-week period during summer each year, though the transmission will be
restored overnight whenever possible. The dates of this longer outage will
be announced on this page and by emailed notices to registered users as soon
as they are known."

so perhaps not a total shutdown, but it /may/ be on overnight.  My cheap
clocks seems to sync only overnight, so that may suit them.  Actually we've
been enjoying a spell of good weather the last couple of weeks, so an
earlier period might have been ideally suited.

  https://www.npl.co.uk/msf-signal

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu