[time-nuts] Salvaged OCXO by ar electronique

Andreas Seltenreich seltenreich at gmx.de
Thu Apr 30 07:27:49 UTC 2020

Hi,

I recently bougnt two used DVB modulators by Teamcast for salvaging
parts.  There were a couple Mini Circuits VCOs, mixers and filters in
them as well as a 300Msps DAC and a beefy FPGA.  But the most treasured
part for now is an OCXO (my first one!) labelled:

    ar electronique micrOSTAR-FB 509 A 10 AR1275

My usual searching the list archives on time related parts didn't turn
anything up.  I'm having a really hard time to find a data sheet for it.
A mail to the manufacturer remains unanswered. The closest I could come
to one is this Product matrix:

    http://www.ec-m.it/docs/OCXO.pdf

This reveals some marketing specs and also that it is a 12V-supply-only
part, but no pinout or ratings.

I got the OCXO running by analyzing the PCB a bit, which is not that
easy because it appears to have infinite layers and I'm getting blinded
by the gold plating.

However, there is one pin left which measures open on the PCB and 8V
when leaving it unconnected.  Maybe I'm supposed to buffer that? I also
still have no idea how regulated that single-supply must be or what load
it expects on the 10MHz output…

I'm having a hard time finding these answers myself since this is the
most stable oscillator in my shack by far and I can't really measure
what happens when wiggling the unknown PIN or the 12V, or changing the
load on the output.  Any input appreciated!

regards,
Andreas