[time-nuts] Cesium Mechanical Chronometer

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Feb 2 10:30:57 UTC 2020

k8yumdoober at gmail.com said:
> For several years I've had grandiose notions of locking a grandfather clock
> to a stable external reference, but think it will be a tougher nut to crack
> subject to constraints against modifying it at all.  Perhaps mounting it on a
> motor-driven horizontal translator?

If it's a good clock, you probably don't have to move it very far.  You could
also tilt it.

It would be neat to measure how far you can pull a clock with a given
amplitude displacement.

There are many good videos on YouTube showing injection locking of metronomes.
 The simplest is to put them on a light weight board sitting on a pair of
empty soda/beer cans.  You can easily see them rocking back and forth.

The other approach to mounting is to suspend the support board on strings.

It would be neat to do something similar with grandfather clocks.

Lomis had 3 Shortt clocks mounted on bedrock.  They would get synchronized
unless they were facing at 120 degrees to eachother.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.