[time-nuts] questions about oscilloquartz 10MHz module

gandalfg8 at aol.com gandalfg8 at aol.com
Mon Feb 3 20:58:37 UTC 2020

Ah,
I now have a full copy of the design paper, "A new kind of view for a Double oven Crystal Oscillator", thanks John.

The authors do reference the 8663 but as far as I can see only in a photographic example of what was previously available, before then launching into the discussion of their "new" double oven design.

Of course, this doesn't in itself prove that the 8663 wasn't also double ovened but again, given that Oscilloquartz don't describe it as such, I'm even more inclined to the view that we've been hit with some very long standing Chinese Whispers.
It certainly wouldn't be the first time, and I don't suppose it'll be the last, but they can make life be a bit difficult at times.

I'm not in anyway trying to detract from the 8663, or from its performance, but until someone is brave enough to attack one with a hacksaw and prove otherwise, and I certainly ain't wasting mine:-), then I'm still happy to accept it only has a single oven:-)
Nigel GM8PZR

------------------------------------

Hi Nigel,

I was about to make a similar comment. The 8663 is for sure limited by
it's size. Actually, for being Oscilloquartz they are by far not the
best or the worst, but kind of mid-range. I have OSA 8712 here, and the
even smaller one. Then there is the OSA 8666/8667 and well, I guess the
OSA 8600/8607 does not need introduction. I do not have the full OSA
range of oscillators for sure, but a fair sampling of it.

I think we should look at the 8663 for what it intends to be, a
mid-range OCXO to address some of the telecom market needs.

Cheers,
Magnus