[time-nuts] Using a common power supply among few time standards

Taka Kamiya tkamiya9 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 8 03:01:47 UTC 2020

I recall S-100 scheme had an issue of per-board regulator failing short and dumping 8V into bus killing rest of the system....
I am thinking of making use of 28V (aircraft power supply?) regulated power supply, and have local linear regulator to created needed voltages.  One concern is, should I need large amount of 5V then loss will be tremendous.  I just came across an article that discussed magnetic field sensitivity of LPRO-101.  The author ended up relocating the transformer off-board.  (in a different case)  A very timely information as this is what I am actually working on.
Further comment will be appreciatedTakaTime-nut in training
---------------------------------------
(Mr.) Taka Kamiya
KB4EMF / ex JF2DKG

    On Thursday, February 6, 2020, 6:51:38 PM EST, jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

 On 2/6/20 3:14 PM, Will Kimber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Usual (best?) is supply slight over voltage and use LDO/RC filtering in
> each unit as Bob suggested. But that would require either supplying
> 24v/12v/5v/-12v (with some margin 10%?) or converting some single supply
> of 24v or 48v  in each unit to required voltages at each piece of
> equipment.  The later requires switching supplies to get all voltages.

Well that was the strategy used on S-100 boards. Bulk 8V unregulated
supply regulated down to 5V on the board.