[time-nuts] Using a common power supply among few time standards

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Feb 8 16:37:33 UTC 2020

Hi

DC/DC converters can indeed be filtered. If you do it wrong, things will get pretty crazy. In
general, you need at least an L/C filter and may need an R/L/C design. Things like ESR
on the caps and SRF on the inductors do indeed matter. Both common mode and differential
mode filtering may be needed. With both inductors and ferrite beads, saturation performance
is important. It’s a good idea to only use parts that have detailed data.

Three terminal regulators have a *wide* range of PSRR profiles. Some do almost nothing
past 1 KHz, others are still doing quite well at 10 MHz. Data sheets are your friend in this
case. For best performance, app notes are often a good resource as well.

Yes, this *is* circuit design. There are details to it. Test / analysis / rework are all part of the
process. That’s the way it’s done ….

Bob