[time-nuts] PLL synthesizer information from TI

Logan Cummings logan.cummings at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 02:04:05 UTC 2020

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 5:43 PM Logan Cummings <logan.cummings at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 3:17 PM jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> On 2/11/20 12:18 PM, John Moran, Scawby Design wrote:
>> > For those of you interested in exotic Phase-lock Loop synthesizers, I
>> just received this information from TI -
>> >

>> http://e2e.ti.com/blogs_/b/analogwire/archive/2020/02/10/why-component-integration-carries-weight-for-space-based-pll-synthesizers
>> >
>> > The web page includes a link to an application note with more data on
>> their highly integrated solutions enabling designs from 10MHz to 20GHz.
>> >
>> > The parts aren't cheap, but they are designed for space applications.
>> >

>> $21k in single quantity, 35 week lead time (from Avnet).. That's not
>> extreme for this kind of part.
>>

>> The "engineering prototype part" (generally same die, just doesn't get
>> the screening and paperwork) is only $3.5k in Q1.  (you can also get an
>> Eval board with the part for the same price)
>>
>> I wonder if the same part, without the space processing, is available?

>> and follow the instructions there.
>>

> Not that I looked super deeply at the datasheets but this little guy looks
> awfully similar:
> http://www.ti.com/product/LMX2594
>
> Different package of course, but it goes down to 10MHz rather than 40 and
> is only $64 from DigiKey at Q1 - have to say these are pretty neat parts.
> -Logan

I would be remiss if I failed to mention Analog Devices also has some very
similar parts, a little more for single units from distributors but similar
1k pricing:
https://www.analog.com/en/products/adf5610.html is one, low end is 57MHz or
thereabouts, up to 14.6GHz
There's also an ADF4732 which I think has a little more tuning resolution.
-Logan