[time-nuts] NTP pool reliability

Steven Sommars stevesommarsntp at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 20:00:44 UTC 2020

NTP pool performance depends on several factors.  The primary pool monitor,
located in Newark, New Jersey, periodically polls each NTP server.   Based
on reachability and calculated offset each server is assigned a score.
See  https://www.ntppool.org/scores/192.36.143.151 for example.  If a
server's score is too low, it is excluded from  DNS responses to
N.pool.centos.pool.ntp.org <http://n.pool.centos.pool.ntp.org/> etc.  [I
can't provided details on the pool's DNS implementation .]

Many NTP clients do a DNS lookup only at startup and hence will not learn
that a particular server is no longer being advertised by the NTP pool.
The "pool" directive supported by some recent NTP clients may help.  See
https://kb.meinbergglobal.com/kb/time_sync/ntp/configuration/ntp_pool_usage#pool_directive_vs_server_lines

ISPs/IXPs have implementing "NTP filtering" in some (many?) network paths.
Filtering consists of rate limits and/or NTP size limits.  It seems that
the filtering was done in response to DDoS attacks in the mid 2010's that
used the mode 7 (private) NTP directive: monlist.  Monlist was used in UDP
port 123 for amplification attacks.

NTP filtering continues to cause problems for the NTP pool administrators
and the people who volunteer their servers.   The rate limits cause some
pool monitor periodic polls to fail which in turn lowers the scores of
those NTP servers.  The servers may be temporarily dropped from the active
pool list.   In troubleshooting issues with some European NTP servers I've
found that Telia is among those doing the filtering.    The forum
https://community.ntppool.org/ can be used for pool questions and has some
details of the filtering (timeout) problems.

NTP filtering can affect clients, of course.  60-80% of the NTP polls from
one of my Chicago-based clients towards the NIST Gaithersburg, Md NTP
servers fail.
CenturyLink is doing in the filtering in this case.

The ISP/IXP NTP filtering was implemented as a DDoS defense and viewed by
at least some of that community as still being necessary.