[time-nuts] Pressure sensitivity of Rb vapor cell standards

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Wed Feb 19 21:42:03 UTC 2020

The wavelength of a laser diode can be tuned by varying its temperature and/or bias current.
Mode hopping during tuning can be an issue with standard FP laser diodes.
Single transverse and longitudinal mode operation is also desirable.
The laser wavelength has to be within a few picometers of the absorption line center before it can be served to the absorption line center. Typically longitudinal modes have a separation of a few tenths of a nanometer for FP laser diodes. AR coated laser diode chips with an external cavity are easier to tune without mode hopping.
A cateye resonator with a tilt tuned narrowband filter is easier to align than a Littrow or a Littman-Metcalf resonator.

VCSELs and DFB (with integral Bragg grating) can be better behaved but stabilising the polarisation mode is desirable for a VCSEL otherwise polarisation mode hopping can occur.

Bruce