[time-nuts] Frequency standards for different tau in Allen Dev measurement

Taka Kamiya tkamiya9 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 20 18:40:02 UTC 2020

I have a question concerning frequency standard and their Allen deviation.  (to measure Allen Dev in frequency mode using TimeLab)

It is commonly said that for shorter tau measurement, I'd need OCXO because it's short tau jitter is superior to just about anything else.  Also, it is said that for longer tau measurement, I'd need something like Rb or Cs which has superior stability over longer term.
Here's the question part.  A frequency counter that measures DUT basically puts out a reading every second during the measurement.  When TimeLab is well into 1000s or so, it is still reading every second; it does not change the gate time to say, 1000s.
That being the case, why this consensus of what time source to use for what tau?
I recall reading on TICC, in time interval mode, anything that's reasonably good is good enough.  I'm aware TI mode and Freq mode is entirely different, but it is the same in fact that measurement is made for very short time span AT A TIME.
I'm still trying to wrap my small head around this.