[time-nuts] Frequency standards for different tau in Allen Dev measurement

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Feb 20 20:14:28 UTC 2020

Hi

For most good standards, all a frequency counter is measuring at a 1 second gate is the
floor of the counter:

A typical counter might have a 100 ps rms sort of “gate error” at 1 second. That means that
the best it actually can do is 100 ppt = 1x10^-10. A good oscillator will have an RMS count
to count error of around  10 to 100X better than that.

If you set the counter to a 100 second gate time, it still has the same 100 ps sort of error.
Now that error is at 1x10^-12. The error in the counter and the 100X better “good oscillator”
error now are roughly the same.

In any measurement setup, you would prefer your instrument errors to be 5 to 10X *less*
than what you are trying to measure. For a 1x10^-12 measurement, you would like the counter
to contribute < 2x10^-13 and better yet, to contribute < 1x10^-13.

To hit a 1x10^-13 sort of “contribution” your 100 ps counter would need to be set to a 1,000
second gate time.

Yes, this assumes that the reference to the counter good enough to stay out of the way at
all these tau’s. If the reference contributes, then that also needs to be figured in to the mix.

If your counter is in the 400 ps range, that makes things more difficult. If it is in the 20 ps
range that makes it a bit easier.

There is a bit of hand waving in the above analysis simply to keep it simple. Despite that
the basic conclusions are pretty darn close.

=====

So if you *do* want to accurately measure <1x10^-12 at a 1 second tau, what counter do
you use? Well, you can’t do it with any counter that I am aware of. You need to use a
different device or a different technique. The DMTD is one of several approaches that
could be used.

http://www.wriley.com/A%20Small%20DMTD%20System.pdf <http://www.wriley.com/A%20Small%20DMTD%20System.pdf>

https://white-rabbit.web.cern.ch/documents/DDMTD_for_Sub-ns_Synchronization.pdf <https://white-rabbit.web.cern.ch/documents/DDMTD_for_Sub-ns_Synchronization.pdf>

https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/1494164 <https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/1494164>

A Phase Station is another way to get the job done:

http://jackson-labs.com/index.php/products/phasestation_signal_source_analyzer <http://jackson-labs.com/index.php/products/phasestation_signal_source_analyzer>

A TimePod / 3120 also would do the trick:

https://www.microsemi.com/product-directory/phase-noise-and-allen-deviation-testers/4131-3120a <https://www.microsemi.com/product-directory/phase-noise-and-allen-deviation-testers/4131-3120a>

Even with one of those fancy devices, you still need a *reference* that is “good enough”
to do your measurement. All any of the devices above do is compare sources. With multiple
sources, you can do some fancy math. The pitfalls of doing that have been mentioned in
a number of posts here on the list.

The basics:

http://www.wriley.com/3-CornHat.htm <http://www.wriley.com/3-CornHat.htm>

http://www.miles.io/PhaseStation_53100A_AN_53100A_2.pdf <http://www.miles.io/PhaseStation_53100A_AN_53100A_2.pdf>