[time-nuts] Frequency standards for different tau in Allen Dev measurement

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Sat Feb 22 15:51:40 UTC 2020

Hi Taka,

On 2020-02-22 16:08, Taka Kamiya via time-nuts wrote:
> As I understand, 3 cornered hat is nothing more than system of equations where you have 3 variables and 3 equations, that allows for solving for each.  I'm going to hold off on that one.  I forgot about thermal and equipment's internal noise.  It all makes sense.  I hope to be doing some measuring this weekend if all works as planned (hope, hope, hope....)
Good. As you get measures, more and more of this will sink in as you see
them.
> I mentioned earlier, I have various standards.  I also have TAPR's board to create 1 pps from any standards I have.  To start and follow your last example on how-to, what would you recommend for DUT and the standard?  I'd like to do one that I can show you, and immediately say if it's what you'd expect or not.
> I have newly repaired HP105B, PRS10, Efratom FRK-c?, LPRO-101, and various GPSDO including T-bolt proper.  For the counter, I think I'll use the old HP interval counter, rather than 50132A.  The latter is all menu driven.  It's so easy to mis-set or otherwise screw it up and not notice it.  HP5370A is all switches and knobs.  How long of measurement?  In my experience, 2 days will show the inflection point.

I would start doing a few 1 hour measurements. Only when the measurement
makes sense you extend it.

The HP53132A requires you to set trigger to manual and then adjust
trigger level manually. A little painful in the beginning, but you learn
to do it. In the beginning it can be good to use an oscilloscope to
learn where a good trigger point is.

HP5370 will work. Use PPS from one of your GPSDOs for start. Use any
oscillator of choice as DUT. Once the measurement on one makes sense,
keep that and go to the next.

Mistakes in setup causes huge face-jumps, which is why wrapped phase
(w), phase (p) and frequency (f) is useful as one learns. After learning
to set things up, one end up not using wrapped phase anymore, one sees
the error and just fixes it. Use the 10 MHz output of a counter with no
external clock attached as a clock with worse perfromance than rubidiums.

Cheers,
Magnus