[time-nuts] decimation versus decimation

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 14:55:10 UTC 2020

I'm confused:

I seem to see multiple (at least double) meanings for the term
'decimation'.

One meaning is simply: "take every nth sample and discard
the others without regard to possible aliasing".

The other meaning is: "take every nth sample, but first prefilter
as appropriate to (sensibly) eliminate aliasing".

Which is it?  And if the answer is "both", then shouldn't we all
be very careful to explicitly specify which meaning applies to
the situation at hand whenever we use the term "decimation"?

Thanks,

Dana    K8YUM