[time-nuts] New Subscriber, DIY GPSDO project (yes, another one)

Matthias Welwarsky time-nuts at welwarsky.de
Thu Feb 27 14:42:48 UTC 2020

Hi all,

After working on my own take on the GPSDO topic for about half a year, I think
it's time to admit that I got the time bug. Consequently, I'm subscribing to
time-nuts.

For the past couple of months, I developed a GPSDO platform based on the
TDC7200 TOF chip from TI. You're probably familiar with it, it's also in the
TAPR TICC. It's kind of en vogue right now as it seems. If you want to read a
bit about the development, there's a thread over at the EEVBlog forum:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/diy-gpsdo-project-w-stm32-tdc7200/

In its current incarnation, it plugs directly onto a LPRO-101 Rb standard, the
size of the PCB is about the size of the LPRO front plate. It's meant as a
frequency, not time standard, consequently there's no output for a time pulse.

I've built two prototypes, one of them was used for early design  tests and
the second one is now driving one of my LPRO's. I'm mainly using it now to
work on the control software and tweaking parameters.

Pics or it didn't happen: attached.

The question of performance evaluation will come up. I've ordered a TAPR TICC
some weeks ago but the shop seems to have bungled the order - no confirmation
received and credit card not charged, no answer to email - everyone's on
holiday it seems.  The most stable reference source I have is another
LPRO-101. Not the best circumstances ;)

BR,
Matthias